So Tom & I decided to drive up to the Taos ski valley to see the torchlight parade & fireworks last night. The ski area is only about 1/2 hour drive from our house, & the show was early, at 6 PM. The torchlight parade was wonderful & the fireworks show was very cool, lighting up all of the trees on the mountain... It was very crowded, so we decided to leave right after the show. As we started down the mountain, we noticed the car was overheating & pretty soon the needle was all the way to hot. We had to pull over (no easy task on a winding mountain road) but we did & realized that the radiator had no antifreeze in it. Tom walked through knee deep snow to the creek in the dark to fill up a water jug, then had to cross the busy road to get back to the car (all dressed in black, of course!). Okay, so even a 1/2 hour on a mountain when it's 10 degrees outside is pretty scary, & it gets cold incredibly fast! There were about 300 cars that passed us & not one stopped to offer help, no one even slowed down- I was shocked. We finally got the car cooled down & got home, safe & sound... but here's the kicker- I bought Tom a car survival kit for Christmas, complete with hand warmers, extra warm, dry clothes, food, water, etc.... guess where it was? In our living room! So the moral of the story is this... A. Check the fluids in your car, even if you're just going a short distance. B. don't count on anyone offering help & C. If you have a car survival kit- DON'T LEAVE IT IN THE FREAKIN' LIVING ROOM!!!!