Thursday, August 13, 2009

Decompressing & deciding to jump

I arrived home from Art Unraveled on Sunday & I am absolutely filled up- overflowing with love, a strong sense of connection & creative juju.
I am so very grateful to be able to teach at these events & to be able to connect with everyone on such a deep level. Each even seems to become richer & more beautiful than the last, I think I cried all the way home!
I came home, unpacked & immediately repacked for my classes here in a few weeks. If you live in the bay area, come on out, I can't wait to be there!

While catching up on my favorite blogs, I came across the following on Ninas' blog & with her permission, I am copying it here....

"we all know the feeling, sometimes a little one, sometimes big: fear. it can come with goodness,with excitement, as often as it comes with unpleasantries. we stand before the abyss, round eyed, teetering, standing high above the rest of our lives like we stood, shaking, on the high dive at the Y pool in fifth grade. those at the bottom of the rungs are shouting, shouting, shouting, 'til it turns into a chant: just do it! why are you standing there, if you aren't going to go?! then, when we last expect it to do so, the universe opens up, unfolds, and allows us to see where we will be headed. better to go than to stay, we say. and then, at last, we . just . jump. so that's it, then, isn't it? the teetering, the stammering, the pondering, the looking, the anticipation, the jump. and then, the exuberant landing. and what a wonderful, beautiful thing this feeling of freedom from fear can be. jump, friends. i did. you can, too. i dare you. go!"

Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how. The moment you know how, you begin to die a little. The artist never entirely knows. We guess. We may be wrong but we take leap after leap in the dark. ~ Agnes De Mille
"Jump, and you will find out how to spread your wings as you fall." - Ray Bradbury
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

I LOVE this! It took my breath away. And so I jumped. A few of you know what I'm talking about, most of you never will. That's okay, the important part is that I jumped!

8 comments:

Erin said...

Ah, yes... the jump.. the hardest part being letting go of any poles you may have wrapped your arms around like steel... but what an amazing feeling when you do jump... and to find out the landing is so wonderful. =)

Thank you for your creativity and wonderful company at Art Unraveled. As a forever student, it's so nice to have teachers like you!

Seth said...

Thanks so much for reposting this. What a life affirming and life altering thought. Just jump. From one who knows not what your own leap was all about...I still say bravo!

Ginny Gaskill said...

Wonderful quotes. I'm glad you jumped! Hope it is a wonderful landing.

jean benabou said...

You jumped, and you are flying!
I think it is really wonderful!

julie Haymaker thompson said...

Those to are some of my fav quotes and then the serentiy prayer which is getting me thorough my rough summer

Lesley said...

Leighanna,

Thank you for posting this for us here. The quotes are beautiful and such reminder to us all to not let fear overtake our inner garden like the gnarly weed it is.

I too know the joy of jumping and sometimes the jumping takes on many phases...kind of like jumping from trampoline to trampoline to get me to the final destination. :)

It was so good to see you again in Arizona! Which reminds me that I need to head straight to paypal and send you some money!!!

Hugs,

Lesley

rebecca said...

dear free falling angel,
you are most beautiful
when you
believe...

and you so beautifully instill
courage
willingness
and flight in others
through your teaching.

love sharing this wild ride with
y o u.

ready? set...GO!!!

xoxox,r

Wild Somerset Child said...

Jumping into the unknown requires such a leap of faith - a bit like taking off first solo in a tiny aeroplane and wondering how you will ever land it, not once but again and again. Sometimes a rough ride, sometimes a kiss-the-earth smooth as silk landing. Thankyou for the quotes. I came to your blog via the Steiners' 'Adventures in Italy' website; and yours is the class I have earmarked. Sounds just wonderful. Ann from UK