Friday, June 19, 2009

The Black Hole

Oh no, I just found out that Ed died- the owner of The Black Hole, a weird, wonderful, quirky junk/salvage/ you-name-it store up in Los Alamos. Actually, he died months ago, but I just learned about it.
I was
only there once & always meant to go back, what an amazing place- & the stories, wow, this guy lived!
I remember finding this box of awesome tiny light bulbs. Nothing was priced, so you had tho hunt him down to to ask the price, & just to find Ed in this weird maze of stuff was quite the ordeal. When I finally found him & asked the price of the light bulbs, he looked at me long & hard & finally said "Aw just put 'em back, you can't afford them!" At the time I was pissed off & insulted, (I REALLY wanted those light bulbs!) now I find it very funny, & a great memory.

Bye Ed, hope you're somewhere in a rusty junk paradise!

3 comments:

Ginny Gaskill said...

Ed Grothus truly was a strange character and collected everything he could find. I wonder what they are going to do with that place. The neighbors hated it and it is a danger to children. I don't know if he ever got it fenced. I had a ceramic business a stones throw away. That was about 10 years ago. Brings back memories.

jean benabou said...

When I was a little girl, my mom and I LOVED to go to these kinds of places! They were the BEST! I wish I could find a couple like that today, they are more fun than..., well, Disneyland!

julie Haymaker thompson said...

Ohhh Good-by Ed and that was a great story!!