Thursday, November 13, 2008

Recycled show prep & hardware store rant





Well I'm finally ready for this show.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why I always wait until the last minute when I know how much it stresses me out.

My work is all photographed, priced & packed.  My living room is filled with boxes ready to go & the car is clean & fed.
I've been to the hardware store 5 times this week, probably 3 more times than I needed to go, but I just love to go to the hardware store, any excuse will do!

We have a tiny little ancient hardware store down the road called Chase.  They all stand at the door waiting for someone to come in & as soon as I walk in they all just about kill each other trying to help me!  There is even a black & white dog there to greet me.
After 8 years I think they finally know me.  They know that I like to "just browse".  It took them forever to understand this concept, apparently not many people go to the hardware store to "just browse".
They also know not to ask me questions like "what are you going to use this chain for?" because they know that they won't get any kind of answer that they could possibly relate to.  I guess after giving answers like "well, see I'm going to chain this doll arm to the bottom of this sled..." they finally gave up!

I just hate it when I'm shopping & people ask "so what are you going to do with THAT?"  I rarely purchase anything & actually use it for it's intended purpose & I often have no clue what I'm going to do with it.  But it always seems to eventually make it's way into a piece of art.

Anyway, that is my rant for today.  I was going to go on & on about how much I hate Home Depo, but I'm tired.  It's been a long week.  
Pat was saying that doing a show is like going to a 3 day cocktail party.  So true.  I'm getting better at it, but  it still takes every ounce of energy to be able to make small talk w/ strangers for 3 days.  
So I need to go rest up now for my 3 day cocktail party!  Have a great weekend everyone!



8 comments:

rscoach said...

Leighanna - your new pieces are brilliant - the use of the doll parts with things like the little red wagon, and other childhood memoriabilia really speak to me - I also love the piece with the fanned book in the body - thanks for sharing these thought-provoking creations - you always inspire me and really - literally - make me think outside the box - or should I say inside the box :) Reva (Los Angeles)

lklight said...

Reva, if you see this, please send me your email address, I have no way to contact you!
lklight@copper.net.
Thanks!

Judy said...

Wow - love these! Good luck with the sales - you will certainly be the bell of the ball!!!

jean benabou said...

Aren't hardware stores the most wonderful places?
Well..that and junk shops!
So much potential and so little time:))
Love the leg in the wheel and also the baby /wagon!

rivergardenstudio said...

Your newest creations are wonderful... I love your imagination, the boxes and all of your work. Thank you for inspiring me on a Saturday morning with my own art awaiting... Roxanne

rivergardenstudio said...

Your newest creations are wonderful... I love your imagination, the boxes and all of your work. Thank you for inspiring me on a Saturday morning with my own art awaiting... Roxanne

HappyDayArt! said...

I sure hope you have fun at this one and have all the extra energy you need! XO Catherine

burntofferings said...

welcome back from france - wasn't it an amazing experience - love the new work...it's so me...lol!